As it’s the week of Valentine’s Day, I thought I might add just a few more topics with “Will They or Won’t They” plots with a future-forward setting.
- Eureka Seven
- Eureka herself is mysterious, sweet, subdued, and determined.
- Renton joins Eureka’s friends and falls for her in the lower stratosphere as they both pilot big robots.
- Hero genre, SciFi Genre
- Even Funimation boasts “The Greatest Love story ever animated!”
- Robotics; Notes
- By the people who brought you “Steins; Gate” comes Robotics; Notes. You don’t have to watch one to appreciate the other. Trust me.
- Deconstruction of the “Big Robot” genre, but in the BEST way possible. Neon Genesis is on one end of the deconstruction scale, Robotics; Notes is on the other.
- Compare/Contrast with Big Hero Six, Neon Genesis Evangelion
- Big Robot Genre, Shounen Genre
- Indirect sequel to Clamp’s Angelic Layer, focusing on an adorable android and the college student who takes her in.
- Fanservice heavy at the beginning.
- Compare themes with Astro Boy; Contrast with Metropolis
- In a world headed towards self-driving cars, we aren’t TOO far removed from this future, actually.
And if your goal is to avoid romance altogether, just immerse yourself in One Piece. There aren’t any robots, but they did say that there isn’t any romance officially scheduled in the storyline either, because that’s “just not what they think their audience wants”. Hey, if the creator says so, it must be true. Perfect!
You can also watch Pacific Rim and Voltron if you’re looking for non-romantic robot stories, but you aren’t restricting yourself to Anime. (We’ll talk about where both franchises got their inspiration from some other time.)